Story Dolls


My friend Reghan and I came up with this idea to make "Story Dolls."  At first, we were going to call them Beanie Dolls, but we found out that name was already taken.  You can make a book for them or just read them any book you have because they love stories. Here is how you can make one:


This is all you need (plus some old pillow stuffing): a sock, a hot glue gun, scissors, some cloth, a black and a red marker (you can use a pink or red one), a string, a sewing needle, a small rubberband, and some yarn.


First, you stuff a sock all the way up to the heel.  I took some stuffing out of an old pillow because I didn't have any of the good stuffing.


Then, you tie a knot in the sock above the heel.





Fold the open part of the sock over onto the knot.  Then, put a rubber band on to hold it in place.  That will be the head of your Story Doll.


Next, you color on the face. You can do whatever kind of face you want. I do closed eyes, a happy face and rosy cheeks.




Lay your Story Doll on top of your cloth, which is used for the dress.  Measure 3 inches on each side of your doll. Then cut it out.





Wrap the cloth around the Story Doll's body, thread your needle with whatever color string you want to use, and sew the cloth onto the doll.





Swirl some yarn on top of the head and glue it on for hair.  Now, take some yarn and make a small ball with it for the bun.  Hot glue it on top.


If you want you can wrap some yarn around the bun for decoration.  You can hot glue it or just tie it in the back. You can add anything you want to it. You can even draw some arms on it if you want, or just leave it simple the way I did it. Then, your Story Doll is finished! 


You can read a story to her now, and you can make some more.  This one is Cinderella.  I am going to give it as a present to my friend Annabella. 


If you want to make the present extra special (like I did with an Ariel Story Doll), you can put it in a box or something like that (I used a strawberry container that was washed and the stickers were peeled off).  I colored a picture for the back of the container and wrote a little story about her.  I rubber banded the book to the doll, and tied her to the back of the box. Have fun making your own Story Doll!

Comments

Popular Posts